WHY??? YOU LOVE AEC AND WANT TO BE GREAT!!!
Please understand these are just thoughts and while they speak to what we feel a hamstrung version of Revit is: a mistake for AEC; they are just thoughts and are intended to help in some small way. Good luck, no matter our take.
FWIW: AEC needs more functionality in Revit itself, so to dedicate precious resources to create and support RevitLT, especially when you have cut thousands of jobs recently is a bit odd, in RFC's opinion. Perhaps you have numbers to support good sales figures, so WhoTF are we to judge :-)
Now, we're not shareholders and we guess you must worry more about profits than people at times...but remember, even the small firms you say you are helping with this offering are people too and unless they only do Strip-mall-chitecture then UH OH!!!
In other words, we respectfully disagree with the need for such a seeming piece of shit software!!! That's what SketchUp is for!!!
-Signed Revit Fact Check (AKA: Revit Users who actually say what others only think)
Check below the following embedded PDF for a review of the comparison (as if one truly exists) :-)
Revit LT ADSK Comparison
- RevitLT is out (Yaay???) and has but 17 less major functionalities, when compared to full Revit. Not much you say? Good luck with that!!!
- Here at Revit Fact Check we think that some of these 17 make it a deal breaker, as we'll explain below, but first a word from this ADSK PRESS RELEASE:
Ease the transition? "They" can say so, but if you do anything of value we have 2 reasons NOT to go near Revit LT and while the following may sound harsh, it's true for most everyone (if not everyone) in AEC, whether small or large!!!
- If you cannot afford the tools of your trade get another trade.
- The lacking functionality of Revit LT will just make the inevitable purchase of full Revit take that much longer. But who are we to say how late you should be to real productivity, better projects and all that true BIM has to offer...
- With it taking one or more years to become fully adept at BIM we like those who wait...we can take more of their work, so maybe we should just shut up!!!
- Well, We would shut up if we truly didn't want to help AEC that is!!!
- I thought that "Building Professionals" need professional building tools... wasn't that why these were put into Revit in the first place? To fill a void for contractors & other "Building Professionals...
- This one may not be a 'huge' deal though, unless of course you like to believe that a model should represent what is being...uhhh... modeled. Hmmm...
- Maybe the thought is that small firms are too daft to use assemblies, or maybe the thought is they are not needed... either way this holds as a good selling point; just NOT for RevitLT.
2) Stair by Sketch
- Really RevitLT; No custom shaped stairs by sketch??? Aaaahahahahaha!!!
- Designers love to be locked into tools that have next to no usefulness for the work they actually do, day to day.
- Why not just remove the "save" button while you're at it ;-)
- We hope you RevitLT users only do stairs that have no need to be other than simple, with little to no ability to adapt to... oh what do they call it?... OH YEAH... DESIGN, SHAPE, etc.!!!
- These LT folks really know how to sell full Revit!!! Make a third rate LT grade software and let people call it 'light' and think they can be productive & efficient with it.Then buy the full app!!!
- The extra cost of full Revit is paid for in ROI within the first project, unless that project is a simple dog-house perhaps.
3) Truss and Reinforcement
- Excuse the language but this is a fucking joke!!!
- Helping AEC get into "a BIM workflow" by not allowing some of the most basic structural content?
- Again, we hope any Revit LT users never need their buildings to stand up, or never know how they will look... "Rebar and Trusses are so last year" perhaps...
- Yeah, when I was with a small firm we never needed Trusses.
- Oh Wait, that's a lie!!!
4) Conceptual Massing, Adaptive Components
- Oh My Fucking God
- Not having Massing & AC's may be the biggest reason RevitLT a terrible idea to us!!!
- Small firms never do any creative work, so why have these necessary tools, right RevitLT?
- No buildings other than rectilinear we guess.
- Good thing "architects, designers and building professionals, particularly those in small firms" don't want to compete for good projects or make buildings anything but square (or the like)... You could do round but let's see a twisting shape or tilted walls...
- Who needs to conceptualize a building early on and get environmental & structural analysis??? We hope not you RevitLT users. (more on this later too)
- A "for instance"...Any "small" firms ever do walls that might be free-standing & be segmented & have custom openings? No soup for you!!! Unless or until you become a modeling master.
- In-place models can be handy in the Design process, especially in fast, 'down-& dirty' situations. Get ready to learn the Family Editor (not a bad thing though ;-)
- Now there are those who try not to use in-place modeling but the fact remains that sometimes it IS necessary (read as: necessary), so this too keeps RevitLT users bound to unnecessary struggle and frustration, productivity loss (even weighed against Acad -we think).
- AND THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT Acad IS ANY GOOD AT PRODUCTIVITY, COMPARED TO Revit!!!
- What small (or large) firm needs easy rendering at their fingertips???
- No more needs to be said about this, other than: Good luck learning more apps. LOL
- Ray Trace? Unless these small firms have super good computers this is no issue at all. Ray trace is so slow at this time on "the average" computer that it probably won't be a big loss... for now.
- Realistic View Styles WILL NOT be removed & this is awesome for RevitLT users so if you do get RevitLT then surely use this!!! <Edit 09/07/2012>
- Every small firm are especially in need of the ability to coordinate better. Not having interference checking will keep AEC-LT users thinking they are creating BIM but they'll be sadly mistaken in a holistic sense. Plus their models will be some of the worst out here.
- 'Hope they want to find out those beams are slamming through plumbing (etc.) members in the field... That's the point of using CAD drafting programs: to keep projects inefficient and too expensive, with time and money thrown away!!! Why introduce that to BIM??? WHY???
- Not having linked models automatically track the changes between disciplines' components is pure awesomeness...Oh wait, it isn't...this should keep people groping for the full Revit!
- Say goodbye to the Worksharing concept, image @ the right. None of this (or more) for the LT user
- The first project I did in Revit I worked all alone AND STILL USED WORKSETS!!!
- Say goodbye to collaborative work, efficiency, sophisticated organization and peace of mind!!!
- Sure, small firms looking to boost productivity NEVER copy from a linked file...It's surely better for them to have to open both models up and overburden their (probably) unacceptable computer.
- LO-Fucking-L RevitLT!!! You really think that this won't piss every RevitLT user off??? Better get those apology letters handy!!!
- No Architect or Engineer EVER needs to adjust what is seen and how it's seen in others' linked model... This one is a prize winner!!!
- Maybe if no one reads all the marketing materials about how key point clouds are to BIM maybe no one will notice how limiting this missing functionality will be...Shhhh, we'll keep quiet ;-) Oh wait, that was not quiet: sorry.
- Decals are great for rendering & those Realistic Views...OH SORRY, Those are already not available in RevitLT -Mwahahaha
- Benefits to this is you can keep those old airbrushes going!!!
- Seems there is a thought that small firms don't need to export to others in any meaningful ways.
- No manufacturing, databases, etc...well at least it'll have .dwg export LOLOLOLOL
- Family Type Exports are really only good if one wants to capture objects from models and re-use or re-purpose them more efficiently. Say in Component Libraries...
- Small firms do not need to make "informed Decisions" -Inference for purchasers of RevitLT
- It appears that the promise of BIM will not be televised for RevitLT users... Keep making wasteful buildings, you don't deserve grown-up tools if you buy RevitLT anyhow!!!
Why the fuck not allow anyone to customize RevitLT, that would make them keep from buying the full Revit...
OMFG JUST BUY REVIT AND FORGET LT...
IF NOT, THEN PLEASE DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!!!